American College of Sofia | Campus Center and Library
Campus Center and Library
Restoration of Ostrander Hall
The American College of Sofia is a co-educational, private secondary school, with an emphasis on a rigorous, English-language education and a college-preparatory curriculum for both Bulgarian students and those of other nationalities. The College traces its roots to a boys’ school founded in 1860 by American missionaries, who operated the school until 1926. The schools were then turned over to Sofia American Schools, Inc., who continues to operate the College today. They hired Dr. Floyd H. Black, who oversaw construction of a new campus to the southeast of the capital city of Sofia in the late 1920s. Beginning with World War II, the school was closed for a period of 50 years, and the campus was used by the Bulgarian government.
November, 1989 saw the fall of Communism in Bulgaria, and a renewed hope that the College would reopen. Under the direction of Dr. Roger Whitaker, the school reopened in September, 1992 with an 8th grade class of 50 boys and 50 girls. Since then, the American College of Sofia has continued to grow and utilizes much of the original campus, leased to them by the Bulgarian government. In November 2011, ACS retained the services of Celli-Flynn Brennan to develop the first master planning document for the school. One component from the master plan was the need for a campus center and library on campus with an emphasis on student socialization.
In the fall of 2014 ACS hired CFB as the Architect of Record to design the new campus center and library and to restore “Old Main”, known as Ostrander Hall. Drawings are to be finished in June 2015 with a construction start in August 2015.