Pennsylvania State Capitol | East Wing Addition
Winner of the Arthur Ross Award by Classical America
The main objective of the $140 million East Wing Addition project to the Pennsylvania State Capitol was to merge four existing National Landmark buildings into a complex serving more than 6,000 people. The merger was accomplished by building a 929,000 SF Legislative office Addition to the Capitol, connecting the four structures and 20,000 square feet of renovation and restoration of the existing building. Above the underground garage, the new addition to the main Capitol Building incorporates a 250,000 square foot plaza, an office/concourse level connecting all buildings, and an additional 300,000 gross square feet of office space for the State House of Representatives and the Senate.
TV studios for the Senate and the House of Representatives which include broadcasting and taping facilities for individual messages to constituencies and group discussion were incorporated in the new addition. The Governor’s media room and press conference space has its own control room with satellite uplink and downlink as well as full TV broadcast capability.
The Italian Renaissance Style of the addition was a must in order to preserve the historic fabric of the 1906 Italianate Capitol building, which is considered to be one of the finest of all the state capitols. The project was awarded the Arthur Ross Award by Classical America.
Click the link below to view Paul Goldberger’s review which appeared in the October 8, 1989 edition of The New York Times. Mr. Goldberger states in the article, “The new East Wing of Pennsylvania’s Capitol is perhaps the most ambitious Classical work in the United States in a generation”.