Bucknell University | Carnegie Building Restoration
Bucknell University’s Carnegie Building was original constructed in 1904/1905 as the Carnegie Library with funds provided by Andrew Carnegie. The three story building is approximately 65 feet wide and 90 long and constructed of load bearing masonry walls and wood framed floors. The original building was designed with a sloping metal roof and clearstory windows which were removed in the 1960’s but will be restored. Also in the 1960’s the original central two story high reading room was infilled at the second floor to create additional classroom space. The infill will be removed to recreate the historic reading room. In the 1920’s a third floor was constructed for book stacks on the north side of the structure. This space will be retained and utilized to house mechanical units. In the 1960’s two fire stairs addition were constructed on the east and west elevations. The east stair will be retained and the west stair will be demolished and a new stair and elevator addition constructed. The building will have a flexible program, providing the University with office space and lounge and exhibit space on the first and second floors. The lower floor will house centralized rest rooms, mechanical space and lab space for the Geology Department. The exterior of the building will be restored. The brick and brown stone will be cleaned and repointed and modern modifications removed and missing elements restored. The original wood windows will be replaced with custom fabricated aluminum clad wood to match the configuration and profile of the original windows. New exterior aluminum or aluminum clad wood doors will be provided with custom brick moldings to replicate the original entrance doors and frames. The project will include complete new MEP and life safety systems. The project will seek to be LEED Certified under USGBC LEED 2009 (Version 3.0).