Carroll University | Master Plan for the Sciences
The purpose of the master plan for the Natural and Health Sciences for Carroll College was to program all of the needed spaces for the Natural and Health Sciences, to develop typical laboratory layouts, and to establish an architectural concept for placement of the sciences on the campus. Research Facilities Design (RFD) assisted with the programming and CFB led the project and developed the architectural concepts.
Carroll College has a wonderful campus which features four historic buildings built with Wisconsin Limestone in the latter part of the 19th Century/early part of the 20th Century. Rankin Hall currently is used for the sciences and was considered to be a candidate for total historic rehabilitation. A decision had to be made to continue it in use for the sciences or to make a change. Lowry and Maxon Halls were two modernist buildings built beside Rankin in 1958 and 1962, respectively, and their future needed to be considered in the overall planning.
After studying several sites, Celli-Flynn Brennan developed a concept to allow Rankin to remain in use as a renovated science facility while removing Maxon. Lowry has adequate dimensions to be renovated- it will be wrapped in new architecture that is sympathetic to the historic buildings that make up the central quadrangle. A small three-story common facilities pavilion will face the gymnasium and a new health/science building will incorporate Lowry as a part of its architecture. This “wrapping” of an existing building in new clothing has worked well on other campuses and will work well here. A new wet lab structure will complete the Natural Sciences Complex. The college accepted the plan in April, 2007.