Washington & Jefferson College | McMillan Hall Renovation
The Administration Building of Washington and Jefferson College was built in 1793 of stone in the Georgian style. In 1816, the building was expanded with the addition of two brick wings, one either side of the original stone building, and a two-story portico with four solid chestnut columns, giving the building its eclectic Georgian-Greek Revival style.
Throughout the years the building saw many renovations to its exterior facades as well as interior spaces. In 1934, Charles M. Stotz documented the building as part of the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS). In 1977, the Administration Building was registered on the National Register of Historic Spaces. In 1993, the Administration Building was rededicated as John McMillan Hall in honor of the frontier clergyman and founder of the Washington Academy. Through these many years and changes the office of the President of the College continued to reside on the 2nd floor of the original stone building.
In 2007 the college commissioned Celli-Flynn Brennan to assist them in transferring a National Park Service “Save America’s Treasures” grant previously applied for the restoration of Old Main to the now more needy McMillan Hall, the oldest building on Washington and Jefferson College’s campus. In addition to the restoration construction, we investigated the failed water remediation systems of the building which led to much of the current erosion of the stone foundations walls, original wood windows and hand-turned chestnut columns of the portico. The results of our research led to a full perimeter excavation to waterproof the foundation walls, install new foundation and storm water drains supported with a sump pump system, back flow valves and cleanouts and a reconfiguration of the historic “Pole-gutter” system with added downspouts.
This exterior restoration also included the renovations required to bring the outside of this 18th century national landmark into 21st century code compliance with the installation a sympathetically designed stone ADA ramp with wrought iron railings at the North entrance.
McMillan Hall is the fifth oldest collegiate building still in use in the United States.