William Peace University | Old Main Historic Restoration
Built in 1857, Old Main is the oldest building on the William Peace University campus. It is set back from and on axis with Wilmington Street, which gives the structure a prominent presence. This Greek revival structure with Italianate and Victorian accents is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Old Main is also part of the Blount Street Historic District and designated as a Raleigh Historic Landmark. The building houses the President’s office, chapel, small theater and two floors of student residences.
Celli-Flynn Brennan’s restoration work on this historic structure consisted of exterior masonry restoration and repair, cornice repair and exterior wood restoration and painting, roofing work to improve watertight conditions, and window restoration and replacement. All of the work was carefully researched to be within the historic character of Main Building’s architecture while implementing 21st century building technology.