Central Methodist University | Classic Hall Renovation
Central Methodist University has restored the exterior and renovated the interior of the historic Classic Hall for the 100 year anniversary. The 18,000 SF brick structure was built in 1911, and was occupied with many different programs over the years until 1980 when it was closed. The Renaissance Revival building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
After Workshops with the College, CFB came up with a strategy to utilize the college’s space more efficiently by reorganizing spaces and developing their restoration. The expanding art and music departments are housed within the existing footprint. The Ashby-Hodge Gallery of American Art occupies the first floor with gallery spaces, a work room, and reception. The gallery storage is located in the double height space on the ground floor. The second floor contains the music department’s practice rooms, offices and a classroom. The third floor holds a band and choir room. The choir and band rooms feature the existing exposed trusses in the huge attic volume. These layouts are respectful of the numerous window opening and the existing structure.
The detailed brick work has been restored to its original condition. All of the existing windows have been replaced with replicas of the original windows. The circulation has been redesigned to meet code and ADA requirements, including the addition of an elevator and the removal of a crude exterior ramp. The band alumni are already raising funds to name a lounge space on the second floor to honor the Central Bands 100 year anniversary.